What is in YOUR heart? Part Deux
The heart speaks today as I venture out to share what lives in the heart of people when asked what is in your heart? There is happiness and loss; pain and beauty; people here and people gone. No single answer is the only answer and it was an open-ended, with no limitations sort of question to share what “being in the heart” meant to people.
All is allowed there, whatever you deem to be true for you.
One of the lists I received was from a man who is a very creative and artistic soul whom I have known for years. His list of what is in his heart is as follows:
- The ability to make people laugh.
- The love and laughter of my child.
- Watching my creative turn into the finished piece.
- Mechanical ability
- Sharing and contributing to the creative process.
- Helping people even in the smallest ways.
- BBQ’n for friends
- Being active
Another list was provided by a Grandmother who lost her lifelong partner, her husband a few years back and her list inspired me with its poetic feel of the truth of our connection to others and this world.
- People suffering the loss of love, be it from death or the ending of a relationship, my Church and my faith, my old pals from ARCO. I have an infinite place in my heart for small children; they are our hope for the future. Hummingbirds, the peace and tranquility I feel when I sit at the oceans shore. Ireland, the feeling of belonging each time I visit. I am a part of its’ soul. Italy and blue-eyed men. The cemetery in Pittsburgh where all of my loved ones are waiting for me, especially John, the love of my life. Childhood friends, because of the unconditional acceptance that you can only get from those bonds formed without question.
And I asked a younger man in is 20s the same question, “What is in your Heart?” He is one who chooses to be of service to others and spends “a lot” of time thinking what his heart “wants”…. and here is his list:
He said: “I didn’t know for sure if this was what you where thinking. Let me know what you think. I can do another if this is off. thank you so much, this totally helped clear my mind~ Thank you for allowing me to be apart of this. It really came at a perfect time!”
1: Respect of other’s and their individual reality as their own personal truth at that time.
2: Respect and recognition that “universal” or “divine” order overrides personal perspective and opinion.
3: Recognition that no one person is greater or less than another.
4: Recognition that there are no ordinary moments or accidents.
5: Love for myself and the moment i am in.
6: Love for others with no conditions or prerequisites.
7: Freedom from conditioning.
8: Freedom from expectation, allowing each moment to unfold.
9: True gratitude, radiant joy, and pure love for all that is, was, and ever has been (The Process), regardless of appearance, emotional charge or physical pain, everything is always perfect.
10: Wisdom to know what is true and the courage to take proper action.
Another list given to me to share was by one of the most enthusiastic people I know, she is always a bright spot in the day of all she comes across. She is a mom of three young children and her days are filled with showing, growing, learning, being, overcoming and laughter!
1. Love, love is first and foremost in my heart.
3. To be the best parent, wife, friend, and person I can be.
4. The need to learn as much as I can, the love of reading and learning.
5. To be the change I wish to see in the world. To truly make the world a better place one day at a time. Even if it’s only in small ways.
6. To live a life of financial freedom.
7. To be kinder to myself and take better care of myself.
8. To find my inner peace and connect with the divine daily. I would like to be able to really feel connected everyday.
9. To make time to do what makes me happy everyday.
10. I need people, I wither when I don’t interact with people daily, multiple times daily. I need interaction, I love the positive energy.
11. The power of thought is still a work in progress, but I can grasp it somedays. The power of gratitude is really amazing!
12. Technology makes my life easier and more fun! I love it!
She also said: “I don’t know if this is what you meant, but this is what came to me. I have more simple pleasures in my heart; these were my what came up first. If you need me to change or edit, let me know.
I enjoyed this, thank you for including me. I hope you have a beautiful, creative and inspired day. I forgot joy and excitement! Goofiness too! I love spread joy and love and happiness!!”
A dear soul, who is always opening her heart to others and providing a safe place, a warm smile and a twinkle in her eyes shared the following with me, after the devastating loss of her younger brother this year.
She said: Hmmmm….excluding people, this may be tough ~
*Health and well being of others
*Hopes to find happiness in/with my own life
*Always carry my childhood memories in my heart
*Animals, especially dogs, are near & dear to my heart
*Thoughts of all those in the military, serving our country
These are quickly off the top of my head…let me put the thinking cap on, focus a bit (away from work!), and finish this up in another message to ya xoxo.
*Whereas my family unit is so dysfunctional, broken, torn apart, scattered…. I treasure, and hold near & dear to my heart, what few photos I have from when I was little .
* Remembering each and every conversation, and time I shared with my younger brother, who I lost at the beginning of this year.
Next came someone who lives in my own heart and soul. A creative, moody and kind-hearted man, who wears his losses like a shirt and tie, found inspiration in coming up with his list below.
10 things I love besides people.
1. Love the smell of oil paint in an artist studio.
2. Love the way music climbs under my skin and jolts my emotions.
3. Love to run my hands over wood to be used on a carpentry project.
4. Love to breath deep while laying in my savasana at the end of yoga.
5. Love it when i realize god is always standing by my side.
6. Love a really amazing mountain bike ride that pushes my limits.
7. Love the way raw salmon taste and feels in my mouth.
8. Love looking into ones eyes and seeing the beautiful spirit of kindness.
9. Love crossing gigantic bridges over bodies of water.
10. Love flying at night time with a full moon reflecting off every reflecting surface on the earth.
11. Bonus!!! Love actually writing this shit!!! So much, much more!!!
The next list is from a woman I know. She is learning through her own struggles and successes. Her goal is to be a person who can offer understanding, support and openness to be a gift to many.
- Real connection with people
- To Laugh whole heartily & smile each Day
- My business to be a destination spot
- My ranch retreat in Ventura
- Not be taken advantage of/used
The following list is from a young lady who I had the pleasure of meeting last year. A vigorous learner of all things that are “self-‘love”, she has a deep desire to excel at all she endeavors. I have no doubt she will succeed.
- my wings
- my creativity (i always say it comes from my heart not my mind)
And another soul that I spend time listening and learning from each time she speaks as both a wordsmith and knowledgeable shaman, shared the following list:
- My Love for God, Log Home in Big Bear, Fishing, Being with/in Nature, 20lbs lighter, Flow of Money, Play the Castanets, Balance Work and Play, Vacation in Paradise Village, Constant flow of clients…
thank you for asking…
This list will be in three parts, concluding tomorrow on Christmas Eve. Tis the season to give and receive. This has been a gift for me, thank you. I want to provide the place appropriately for all those who gave me their heart for the purpose of answering a simple question.